> If this is the best that a trained Situs user can produce, I am not
> impressed at all.  I wonder what the yields of these designs would be in a
> real production environment.

Situs - sounds like "Klytus", the evil henchman of Ming the Merciless in the
Flash Gordon fiction.

Well, I consider myself a "trained 99SE AR user", and from your description
it sounds like the improvements are marginal at best.

In the meanwhile, I have some tips to help us use the 99SE AR:
1)  It's best to manually route power and ground pads to the planes.  If you
let the AR do it, it will make the tracks too long and meander them, giving
too much ground bounce and other nasty effects.
2)  Don't select "Fan out SMD pads" in the AR, because if you have manually
routed the power and ground pads, the AR will still put in redundant routes
to it's own vias for a plane connection.  Dumb!
3)  Route any critical traces yourself, i.e. clock lines, strobes, analog
and power signals, etc.
4)  You WILL have to clean and tweak the results, get used to it.

Too bad some geometry math geek doesn't sit down and write a good
open-source autorouter.  Is there just one company in the world that writes
stand-alone autorouters (Specctra)?  I sure don't hear about any others.

Best regards,
Ivan Baggett
Bagotronix Inc.
website:  www.bagotronix.com