From: Jim Weir [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 20 August 2002 21:08
To: Protel EDA Forum
Subject: [PEDA] Newbie questions

I have a chance to acquire a legit copy of 99SE in a rather major swap
of test equipment and computer supplies with another company.  It is a
rather minor component of the whole deal, but before I trade for it, I
want to make sure that it will do what I want it to do.  As yet,
perusing the documentation that came with the 30-day trial package
hasn't unearthed what I want to know.

I am currently using (ptui, yecch) Circuitmaker 2K for my board layouts,
which are minimal to say the least.  Analog boards, 2 sided, nothing
spectacular.  However, CM2K is about as unstable a platform as I've ever
used...I actually considered going back to tape and donuts there for a
while.

Anyway, the one thing that CM has going for it is the capability to put
a whole family of parts into the design database library and call them
up into the schematic individually by value.  And, with a little
maneuvering, you can put in your own identifiers (like company part
number) and the identifiers will ride along with the part.  Thus,
calling up a bom gives you not only the part name and description, but
your own internal stockroom part number as well.

Along with that, CM's database is a text file.  When putting in a large
number of "series" parts (as, for example, the w 5% resistors), all you
have to do is put in the first sequence.  Then by cut'n'paste, you can
build the whole series quite easily.  In addition, once you have the w
family done, the w family is really trivial to generate by copy and
then a search/replace on the differences.  If you have a whole bunch of
families in your stockroom (electrolytics, mylars, etc.) building the
libraries for your entire stockroom of a few thousand parts isn't much
more than a week's work.

I can't find that capability in 99SE.  If it can be done, would somebody
please let me know where in the documentation this feature is so that I
can reread something that I didn't get the first few times?

Many thanks fer yer help.

Jim

* Tracking #: B0189544F35D254DA51704F4DCE2790DD7E3D428