As I understand it you want to have one library part for each part number
in your system, and you want the part information in a field.

One way to do this is to add component names to the component for every
partnumber. So than the library item RESISTOR would also have names equal
to all your resistor part numbers. Unfortunately this does not allow you
to match the value to the part number unless you put it in the name. The
other way is to copy the component, rename it to the part number and add
the part number information to the library fields. Some people use the
dBase link to pull the part number information into the part fields after
the parts are placed on the schematic, but since I use Access not dBase
and the link is slow I don't use it.

So yes it is do-able with a little work.

Hope this helps,

Robert D. LaMoreaux
MTS Systems Corp.
Powertrain Technology Division
4622 Runway Blvd.
Ann Arbor, MI 48108
734-822-9696
Fax 734-973-1103
Main Desk 734-973-1111

* Tracking #: D3908DFF0DA2A348A19E59AF7D1B10137E72C240