From: "Brad Velander" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "'Protel EDA Forum'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, August 30, 2002 4:58 PM
Subject: Re: [PEDA] Service Pack 7 vs DXP issues

> Rob, could you explain your comments about the Cam Manager in DXP a
> little better. Do you mean to say that every time you want to generate
> Gerber/Drill output, you have to reconfigure your output formats manually
> each time? If what I think you are saying is true, who is the rocket
> scientist at Protel that blew that one. You know how many mistakes are
made
> generating gerber/drill formats on an initial configuration, saving and
> tweaking those configurations is only the minimal acceptable feature for
the
> past 10 years (some packages longer than that). Aaaarghhh, Protel/Altium
> just don't know what the f#$% they are doing, incompetent, completely
> incompetent.

Brad

You have to generate the ouptuts in the individual groups (gerber, drill
etc).

Pre Cam-Manager style. So we have ANOTHER step backwards, productivity wise.
Pay more (ATS) do less! Dont figure with me.

The features in DXP that I would have welcomed (productivity increase) might
not have been so easy to get into a SP7 in 99SE as a database change was
needed to accomodate them. BUT, a gradual change into DXP from 99SE
enviroment (SP7) would have been less of a shock than it stands now.

I got my 'ATS' copy of DXP as I bought a new 99SE license Q2 this year. But
after using the trial version first, I would say I would rather have seen a
SP7 than DXP. For now the 'good' in DXP (and there is some) so far does not
justify the amount of missed features and reduced productivity for me as
compared to 99SE.

Although I would not say Altium were completely incompetent with DXP, what I
would say is that whovever did the market/user research on what changes &
features should be added into DXP, well, they simply asked the wrong people
or did not ask in the first place, just skimmed the user lists and made a
few notes. The beta program obviously did not take in a big enough cross
section of users (not just loyal experts) to yeild accurate information on
what the 'average user' would like or need, and of course those that did
beta test, have their gag order to contend with, so we will never know. I
would have thought after the 99->99SE experience, the situation would not
have occurred again, oh my....

:-(

John