Bagotronix Tech Support wrote:

> Wasn't AutoTrax the predecessor to Protel?
>
> I wonder if the original DOS code has been recycled into a Windows app?  Did
> anyone on this list use the original DOS AutoTrax software?  How does this
> compare?

I used the original Protel Tango PCB, which I think was either the same as
Autotrax, or a slightly later version sold in the US by Accel Technologies.
It wasn't bad, for PCB editing, but was 4 layers only, and barely that.
Foremost,
it did NOT have NETLISTS!  Or, at least, there was no connection between
the netlist and the PCB tracks, except that it could highlight all the pads in
particular net.  There was no DRC.  It had no external ground plane facility,
only inner plane.  So, if you needed a front or back side ground plane, you had

to plot the inner layer and hand retouch all the pads with pen and ink!

I don't think a revival of the original Autotrax product would be of much
value to the average designer today.  Also, I think it is available as freeware

from a number of net archives.

Jon

* Tracking #: E29D253CFD937848BF180A84B4CB10154CD755EB