At 01:24 PM 9/16/2002 -0700, Tony Karavidas wrote:
>Like I said before, I think Altium is unique in this area and your
>marketing team should take full advantage of that. It should be in your
>new print ads, all over the website, etc.

Usually engineer/designer types have few good words to say about
marketing.... Here we have several of us cheering them on!

There are actually a number of unique characteristics of Protel software
that have been under-marketed.

For example, the database is open, humans can read it and easily write
utilities and interfaces to it, and Altium has encouraged this. Try doing
that with Allegro!

The software is resellable, and typical resale price is at least half of
the current cost. This means that, from an accrual perspective (in reality,
not necessarily in financial statements and tax returns), much of the cost
of the software is recoverable if one no longer needs it. Try that with OrCAD!

In some cases, not even uncommon, one can sell the software for more than
one paid for it originally.

(I had a customer who had paid something well in excess of $10,000 for a
package from OrCAD that was greatly inferior to the Protel product being
sold at the same time (this was in Protel 98 days), and, once he realized
it, it was too late to return it. Protel has generally allowed complete
refund on return within a reasonable period of time, and so do many other
companies.

Essentially, the resale value of most other CAD software is zero, because
it cannot be resold (except under narrow circumstances, if then). Protel
maintains its value.

Because we don't usually think of selling our software, because the
recoverable value of an old license is very low for most programs, I get
blank stares many times when I mention this.

As to industry practice with maintenance, does the PADS license still
provide that failure to pay maintenance allows the company to repossess the
software, without refund? (As far as I know, they have never done it, but
why was that in the license in the first place? The provision *could* be
exercised by a receiver in bankruptcy, who could use the threat of it to
force payment of some fee from lapsed maintenance accounts, and who would
have nothing to lose. I bought a PADS license on the cheap when they had a
ghoulish special offer, hoping to capitalize on frightened PCAD users after
the acquisition by Protel; when I saw that provision, I returned it and got
my money back! They were, at least, nice about the refund.)