At 02:21 PM 9/16/2002 -0700, Daniel Webster wrote:
>lease help me to understand this. While ATS is said to be scraped (Thank
>you Altium, this is a very encouraging development, and as one of the long
>time customers, convinces me to take another hopeful look at continuing with
>Protel software), yet this paragraph seems to imply that some users will pay
>for "hotline phone support and pre-paid upgrades", and ATS contracts will be
>honored in full. What meaneth this ?

I don't think it is too hard to understand, though there are certainly
aspects that have not been made clear. As I read it, Protel is returning to
the "free service pack" and "fee for upgrade" policy. Yet if you have
already paid for ATS, you will get what you paid for, i.e., any upgrades
that are released during the maintenance period for which you paid.
Further, you may get special access to a support hotline.

Telephone support is expensive and I would not be surprised to find that
Altium maintains a support product for those who want hotline support after
the first year. Most users won't need it. And most of the rest can use this
list or lists like it, we find that better answers come this way anyway.

>  Is ATS scraped or not? Why would some
>customers pay a fee to recieve special support, while others will recieve it
>for free.

ATS was a program which promised certain things. The big thing was upgrade;
phone support was improved for people on ATS. I think, I don't know from
experience. Protel phone support was never very good, but the users made up
for it in spades with mutual support.

This means, effectively, DXP "free" for those who paid the ATS fee while
owning P99SE -- this would only be people who paid the DXP upgrade --, or
who had ATS included when they bought P99SE at the price that increased
about the same time that the ATS plan was announced.

ATS is scrapped as the only way that support and upgrade would be provided.
We don't know what they would have done, since ATS did not live long
enough, but with other companies, sometimes it is necessary to pay all
maintenance up to date in order to get the latest product. This essentially
penalizes late buyers, since they pay the full amount yet have missed all
the intermediate upgrades and bug fixes, etc.

It would not be at all offensive for them to establish a program providing
premium support, say, a guaranteed phone-back time, as well as free
upgrades, maybe a certain amount of training, for an annual fee. They could
have called it ATS, in fact. But it would not be a great idea, now, to call
it that. I'd suggest calling it "Premium Support," or something like that.

>  This sounds like some users will be paying for the bug fixes while
>others users wait and recieve the free service packs. I am just a little
>confused here !

No, it definitely means that when a service pack is released (and that is
how bug fixes are provided), every licensee for the program (including,
traditionally, demo users) will have access to it. They won't be looking at
whether or not you are current on maintenance.

When a new product is released, which typically is not fully
file-compatible and has a great deal of variant code, introducing many new
features, it will be available by paying an upgrade charge. That charge may
change over time, but, historically, it has changed fairly slowly or with
plenty of notice, and even sometimes is decreased with special offers.
Typically at some point Protel announced that purchasers of the current
version would get the next one free. My own opinion is that they should
stage this somewhat, because it offends my sensibilities that someone who
bought the program on July 31 would basically be SOL compared with one who
bought it a day later. (They could do this by, at the same time, giving,
retroactively, a partial credit toward upgrade for earlier buyers, perhaps
so much per month so that there is no sudden jump in cost based on a
trivial time difference.)

Notice that the way they have done it, earlier buyers of a program
sometimes pay *more*, effectively, to get through the next version. Altium
sales has explained this to me as justified because the earlier purchaser
had the use of the program for all that intermediate time. That's true, but
the argument breaks down when the delay in purchase was only a day or a
week or a month!!!

>I will add my voice to all the others. I would very much appreciate a SP7
>for P99SE with sensitivity to all the requests made by the many users on
>this forum.

I support that. The pain of providing it could be reduced for Altium by
restricting it to a specific list of true bugs, or maybe a few easy feature
enhancements, and this could be discussed with users for some time, perhaps
even *negotiated*, i.e., "well, we can't do that, it is too difficult, we'd
have to divert too much programming labor, but how about ****?". It is not
fair to insist on indefinite support of a version, but mission-critical
aspects of the program should arguably be bug-free by the time ongoing
fixes are dropped. And it should never crash from its own internal
workings, which can lead to substantial loss of data. Or only very rarely.
By now we, as users, should be able to identify *all* areas that Altium
might be expected to fix.

>  I am able to use P99SE and function with it quite proficiently,
>but like others, I can see room for improvements, and a need to stamp out
>the bugs. After reviewing DXP and following the comments of other users, it
>is clear that DXP (at least for me) is an unworkable solution.

So far. I fully expect it to become the upgrade to have, however. So how do
we help keep Altium cash-happy until DXP is fully ready? Since Protel
provided free service packs for quite a while for P99SE, perhaps a one-time
charge for SP7, fully applicable to upgrade later, would receive user
support. To at least toss a bone to those who say that "all bug fixes
should be free forever" -- which they aren't going to get -- perhaps a few
feature enhancements might be tossed in.

I think those of us who realize that there ain't no such thing as a free
lunch would think of such an upgrade fee as a fair investment in the
improvement of the product, both immediately through the service pack and
in the long run through DXP.

>  I am not
>interesting in relearning the software all over again, and finding it more
>cumbersome to perform the same tasks I did easily in 99SE.

My concern as well. Again, I'm quite confident that Altium will deal with
this issue, it should not be terribly difficult, I'm a little mystified as
to why they proceeded as they did.

At one time there was talk of a substantial user board, under
non-disclosure agreement, which would be consulted by Altium and which
would advise Altium as to what users want. I also think that the DXP
prerelease list should have been actively consulted: "Do you think this
product is ready for release? If not, why not?"

>  I just want to
>see the product, that I have spent so much time trying to master, continuing
>to improve in functional development and stability. This does not require a
>complete revamping of the user interface, and a complicating of well known
>practices and procedures.
>
>Again, many thanks to Altium, for this encouraging press release. So glad to
>know you have considered your customers !

I fully agree.