I started to type this email hours ago then thought, nahhh. But what the
heck:

I agree. Orcad was the 'available' application when I was in college and
it sure ended up in a lot of places I worked. (Until Protel came along)

I think Altium could dust off one their older windows based schematic
editors and the early PCB 2.8 for example and give that away (or make it
$99 or $199 or something easy for hobbiest) with or without paid phone
support. They could get some money for answering newbie questions and
they would 'capture' the low end industry. (like that pun?) Everyone
would use Protel in their hobby projects and if any of them ended up
needing more capability, they naturally would step up to the REAL Protel
because it would load all their current files.

I belong to a few electronics based news groups and several people ask
"what software do you use?" None of them can afford anything in multi
k$, but if they got used to something and then got a job somewhere, they
could influence a purchasing decision. The people using these cheap
version wouldn't be viable customers anyway, not at this stage in their
E-CAD usage. I don't think it would have any negative effect on DXP
sales.

Tony