Matt Pobursky wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Sep 2002 09:22:41 +0200, Wojciech Oborski wrote: ..snip...
>
>>File extensions assotiation is a Windows thing, not Protel!
>>
>>ICAP/IV (Intusoft's simulation software) we use, has *.dwg extension
>>for it's drawings (schematics), which is also well known extension for
>> Autocad drawings.
>>*.sch extension is used by Protel, our old OrCAD SDT and possibly many
>> other EDA tool I do not use.
>>Others could give you many more examples, for sure.
>>
>>How do you think Protel/Altium could manage this?
>>

> By asking permission to change the file extension association at
> install time rather than just doing it! This is what well-behaved
> Windows applications do.

Okay, I agree.
I almoast forgot about such possibility - just because it happens so
rarely. The ICAP simulator, mentioned already, is one of rare examples
known to me.

But it's a little different story, IMO, and it was expressed already
by others.
DXP is a new version of Protel, so it seems to be natural that it grabs
file associations from it's predecessor. And it's a common practice.
It would be nicer if it asked, yes.

Very often there many other things like registry keys, paths, environment
variables, license files, etc. that make coexistance of old a new version
of software difficult if not impossible.
 From that point of view I judged this file assotiation problem as a minor
one.

But again, I agree, well-behaved application could ask.

Wojciech Oborski