Peder K. Hellegaard wrote:

> How do you save/export Protel 99SE library files in ascii format ?????

With SCH Library it's easy - the feature is built in, as mentioned by
Steve Wiseman already.

With PCB Library it's more complicated but possible - it's more or less
a realization of a vision presented by JaMi Smith - go through PCB editor.
Then it's possible to save as PCB 4.0 ASCII or export to PCB 2.8 ASCII.
After making changes in ASCII, import PCB and then Design\Make Library.

I did it several times back and forth after moving our old PCB libraries
from Cadstar - several iterations of more or less global changes were
needed to make the library usable.

Just one basic improvement - ability to automate the process of placing
components from library to PCB.
There are 2 possibilities that come to my mind:
1. Use freeware version of Library Editor (by Premier EDA Solutions):
    http://www.eda.co.uk/libView.html
    The Viewer reads in ASCII format, so to get this format of PCB library
    they provided additional server Lib2PCB placing all components from
    a given Library to a given PCB.
2. Use a "trick" presented on this forum some time ago (I don't remember
    the name, sorry):
    Open Library Editor, select all components on the list (in Browse Window),
    Copy them (to clipboard) then paste them all into open PCB Editor space.
    All components will have the same Designator (Designator1), perhaps it
    will be a little problem.

Wojciech Oborski