JaMi Smith wrote:

> Is it possible to take the "COMP" definitions at the beginning of an ASCII
> ".pcb" file, or a "(library "Library 1" . . . "  definitions at the
> beginning of an ASCII ".sch" file, and simply strip off the heading (or
> replace it) and strip off all of the stuff at the end of the component /
> library definitions (the rest of the PCB or Schematic), and change the file
> type to ".lib" and simply load the thing into Protel?

With schematic ASCII file it's technically doable but I'd say - prone to error,
at least when done manually.
For example - in Library ASCII the section containing names of components' Part
Fields goes directly after the section defining components themselves.
In Schematic ASCII this section appears at the end of file.
If you don't change that names you may trash that section - after importing such
ASCII, Library editor will use default names (Part Field 1, ... Part Field 16).

Also, you cannot simply remove the header - you should substitute schematic
ASCII file header with library ASCII file header. And, while most of elements
of those headers are constant, there is at least one, quite important, that
is not:
- Second line of library ASCII file header contains information about, I guess,
   total number of primitives (lines, arcs, rectangles, pins, etc.).
- Second line of schematic ASCII file header contains information about total
   number of primitives of all instances of components, template primitives,
   wires, junctions, ports, labels and components' description fields.

I don't know about such possibility with PCB ASCII - as there is no ASCII export
from PCB Library editor, then I would be surprised if ASCII import worked.
But I haven't tried, so - I'm not sure.

More important would be, I think, to ask - what for?
I'm truly curious to know.
With the possibility (of which you know) to make a library from project
(either SCH or PCB) I, personally, would't go the other way unless there were
some clear advantages.
I'm not trying to say that what you want would be useless - I just cannot
justify effort/profit proportions. Perhaps I'm missing something.

Wojciech Oborski