Julian,

Buy what you can afford, below is the setup I have been
running since early this year, no real problems to speak
of. This setup is not a lot of money as your time will
cost many times the cost of the hardware over one year.

I try to get two years out of a machine before it becomes
my 2nd (backup) computer and the others ripple down through
the company (home). For the most part the computer gets
switched on in the morning (8am) and off each night about
(23:30) and never crashes. It sounds like the computer
you are using has some kind of hardware (driver, graphics
card) fault.

I have hit the swap file on very odd occasions but I run
many app's at once all the time (currently 13 items on the
start bar) and its normally graphics programs that push it
over the edge.

This machine also runs DXP ok.

 Windows 2000
 Pentium 4, 2GHz, 1GB DDR ram, 2 x 80G HDD (mirror),
 G550 Graphics 2 x 1600 x 1200, 32b colour,
 LARGE FONTS.

Darren Moore

snip...