Hi,

You are correct to get a better machine and loose the ATI card.

I run 1.7GHz and 1G RAM, and NVidia TNT2 32meg, the ATI card low memory was
the
cause of most of our previous problems - still no idea why....

We've also had problems with some printer drivers, especially a PCL6.

(Incidentally, the 'old' Protel/Altium ignored all these problems, we solved
them on
our own, however, the 'new' DXP/Altium seem to be much more helpful - at
least at the moment.)

We have an external contractor that uses a much less spec machine and 256meg
ram,
they have a policy of formatting the HD and re-installing each time Protel
crashes.
(Personally, I think that's a bit extreme, read on...)

Our cad station is 2.4GHz and 1G ram, we use that for most of the work.
(This has a Geforce 64meg video card, but I doubt protel SCH or PCB makes
use of
any 3D speed ups, its mostly games that do that (Ok, and OpenGL etc.)
It only has Protel installed (and windows of course) that way we eliminate
any
cross application problems.

We use w2K pro everywhere.

Turn off any DRC check that you don't really need, only turn them all one
occasionally just to see.

Draft, or even better hide any poly planes unless you are editing them.
A useful tool re-pour poly on Yahoo Groups PEDA will help in this. (I wrote
it)

P99se+Service Pack 6 is the most stable - we have had no serious crashes for
a long time.

We occasionally get an access violation at shutdown, I believe this is a
windows bug and
out of Protels control (though only Protel does it..Hmm?)

Compress and repair the database on a daily basis, or, use the file system
rather than MSAccess.  Do this manually or Protel can take ages to save.

Lastly, take regular backups to a decent historic depth, we take at least
two
a day, using a batch file, just close down Protel and click to create a 50
deep
rolling backup... :)

Good luck,

Jason.