256Meg is probably the minimum.  512 or a gig might be better.
You probably want to have SP2 for W2K.  I'd be suspicious of a possible
memory problem on that machine.  You might want to try running some
memory diags on it (http://www.memtest86.com/).

Before I cut over to DXP I was using a PII-350, with a Voodoo 3500TV
and 512Megs of RAM and Win98.  Not that I'd really recommend to anyone
that they run that combination,  but it really didn't run all _that_
badly either.

I'd look at Gforce and Matrox (G550) because they have dual monitor
support,  which you might eventually want.

99SE can crash sometimes,  (especially if you don't sidestep some of the
known issues) but what your experiencing sounds like way more than the norm.
Maybe that ATI card too.

---Phil