From: Terry Harris [mailto:terry.harris@;iname.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 22, 2002 11:10 AM
To: Protel EDA Forum
Subject: Re: [PEDA] [OT] memory testing and benchmarking - programs

On Tue, 22 Oct 2002 08:46:25 -0500, Tim Hutcheson wrote:

>Seems that my server was blocking me from this group for awhile so I'll
>repost this since the discussion is ongoing.  A simple CPU/video torture
>test is to go to the NASA Goes-8 weather satellite,
>http://wwwghcc.msfc.nasa.gov/GOES/goes8hurrir.html, select all previous 30
>images and then animate.  When the animation starts, click on faster until
>all the delay is gone.  Image will blur out on the faster CPU's and your
>temperatures will start rising rapidly as the video pipeline and the CPU
>work to sustain the data flow.  Simple and effective.

 A batch file

:loop
goto loop

also uses 100% CPU and proves about as much.

The Self test in Prime95 is an excellent system stabilty test. It thrashes
the system processor, cache and memory (always 100% CPU usage for me) and
most importantly verifies they functioned correctly.

Apparently stable systems do fail running Prime95 which is probably why
they felt the need for a built in self test.

Cheers, Terry.