I looked at the link you provided about prime95, and if you read the
"how it works" section here http://www.mersenne.org/works.htm it says:

"The program runs at the lowest possible priority. You should not see
any impact on your system's performance. The program will use about 8MB
of memory and about 10MB of disk space."

That doesn't seems like much torture to me. :)