At 04:51 PM 11/8/2002 +0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
The printout I have suggests that for no rotation, do not use the rotation
parameter. IMHO it sounds like the manufacturer's interpretation of the gerber data is not correct.
Based on my recollection:

That is the same error that Protel made, probably based on the same incorrect assumption. If you download the complete RS-274X specification, you will discover that zero rotation means that a point of the polygon is on the y-axis. This might have been a bad decision on the part of those who wrote the spec, since 99% of the uses of this shape (as an octagon) would have the flats orthagonal to the x and y axes. The manufacturer is following the specification as carefully intepreted without making the assumption that zero rotation for an octagon gives you the same thing as a non-rotated square but with the corners chamfered.

I do understand why they made the decision, though. For polygons with an odd number of vertices, normal-to-the-flats would be weird.

At the very least, the specification should have been much more explicit!