Michael,
        here is what we do, for better or worse.
We use two mechanical layers combined with ACAD for assembly drawings.
Within our library parts I draw a one - one representation of the real part.
This layer also includes the ".DESIGNATOR" string to duplicate the
designator function onto this layer.
        After the board design is completed, I unlock all the primitives in
all my components and place the ".DESIGNATOR" strings in appropriate
locations. If I have a double-sided assembly I also transfer the part
representations for the bottom components to the bottom assembly layer.
After editing make sure you re-lock the primitives of all the components.
        Then I generate Gerber layers of the two assembly layers. Pass the
assembly layer Gerbers through Camtastic to convert them to DXF. Import them
to ACAD and do my assembly drawings. I prefer ACAD far far over trying to do
any formal drawing in Protel or any other CAD package I have ever tried so
this is a personal preference.

        One warning: in Camtastic you must manually replace all Gerber
circles from Protel prior to exporting DXF. There is some bug with the
translation of Protel Gerbered circles to DXF in Camtastic that will turn
them into minute dots somewhere along their circumference.

Sincerely,
Brad Velander.

Lead PCB Designer
Norsat International Inc.
Microwave Products
Tel   (604) 292-9089 (direct line)
Fax  (604) 292-9010
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.norsat.com

Check out our fall promotion at www.norsat.com. Limited quantities. Sale
ends December 24, 2002.
Contact your Account Manager or call 1-800-NII-4LNB or email