> There is also 'new user' support costs with hardware. Look at any VCR
> and try to tell me people understand how to program them. If I sell a
> used VCR to someone on ebay (without a manual) the first they they could
> do is potentially call the company and start asking questions how to use
> it. And THAT is a product that has zero margin for support.

Most consumers know better than to call the company for support ;-)  They
know they will be wasting their time and racking up big long distance
charges while navigating Byzantine voice menus and waiting in long phone
queues to talk to a clueless supportdroid who reads from a script.

Said company could save support costs by posting VCR operating manuals and
FAQs on their website, even for old models.  OK, Altium, for you that means
"old versions".  Keep support for old versions on your website, and your
support costs will be minimal.

Sidebar:  I never call these companies unless I have a product that failed
in warranty and need to make a claim.  This happened with a Linksys
Cable/DSL Router last week.  I called them, got connected to a supportdroid
who was probably working the late shift in India.  I told him the unit's red
"Diag" light was on and would never go off.  He then asked me what operating
system I was using!  DUUUUHHHHHH!  I played his little script game until
finally he told me to go to the website and fill out a form to get a RMA to
send the whole thing back.  I decided to do a little more investigation (I
noticed the red light was awfully dim).  Using a scope, I tested the wall
wart under no load, and it had a 5V output.  Then I got a 5 ohm, 10 W
resistor and loaded it down, it went down to a very noisy 2V.  Aha!  Bad
power supply!  I grabbed another wall wart with similar ratings, plugged it
in and the unit came up and started working.  So I will be claiming a new
wall wart, instead of complete new unit.

With few exceptions, in today's world, YOU are your own tech support.

Best regards,
Ivan Baggett
Bagotronix Inc.
website:  www.bagotronix.com