I still believe support is one of the reasons for people to buy products
from one company over another. My customers call here and they get to
talk to someone that knows the inner workings of all the products.
Usually the first call will get their answers resolved. I wish I could
say that for other companies.

> Said company could save support costs by posting VCR
> operating manuals and FAQs on their website, even for old
> models.  OK, Altium, for you that means "old versions".  Keep
> support for old versions on your website, and your support
> costs will be minimal.

I've requested the same thing from companies like Agilent and Tektronix.

> Sidebar:  I never call these companies unless I have a
> product that failed in warranty and need to make a claim.
> This happened with a Linksys Cable/DSL Router last week.  I
> called them, got connected to a supportdroid who was probably
> working the late shift in India.  I told him the unit's red
> "Diag" light was on and would never go off.  He then asked me
> what operating system I was using!  DUUUUHHHHHH!  I played
> his little script game until finally he told me to go to the
> website and fill out a form to get a RMA to send the whole
> thing back.  I decided to do a little more investigation (I
> noticed the red light was awfully dim).  Using a scope, I
> tested the wall wart under no load, and it had a 5V output.
> Then I got a 5 ohm, 10 W resistor and loaded it down, it went
> down to a very noisy 2V.  Aha!  Bad power supply!  I grabbed
> another wall wart with similar ratings, plugged it in and the
> unit came up and started working.  So I will be claiming a
> new wall wart, instead of complete new unit.

Don't you hate that??!! When they piss me off, I usually tell them I
design electronic systems for a living, and I want to talk to someone
with some real high level knowledge of their products and I do not want
to participate in the silly QA sessions of tier 1 support.

> With few exceptions, in today's world, YOU are your own tech support.

So true. AND we become tech support for our families and friends...