At 12:25 PM 11/21/2002, Mike Reagan wrote:
You didnt mention if this was a result of  a split plane passing thru the
hole.....This  is the only time I have ever encountered a short in which the
DRC did not catch it.  Actually it is the only DRC that has ever failed for
me.
If I am correct, such a split plane will generate a warning; since most such warnings are spurious, 'tis easy to ignore....

There are other aspects to the problem that were not mentioned. In particular, what were the exact specifications of the "alignment pin holes" that caused the short. I can reproduce the problem if I make them surface pads with holes.

The left hand of Protel assumes that a surface pad has no hole nor any other presence on inner layers, therefore no blowout is generated in planes. The right hand cheerfully generates the hole in a drill file, with the nuisance results reported. Usually it can be fixed by drilling out the hole a bit.

It's a bug, albeit a well-known one. (Protel should either lock out holes from surface pads or properly treat them. In general and in the long run, holes as primitives should become logically separate from pads, so that off-center holes become easy. That is, a pad may have a hole associated with it but holes could also exist independently, plated or non-plated. And a plated hole is essentially a padless via....)