Thanks Harry,
I've read both papers below and don't see how they agree. The NPL paper has 2 charts that max out at 3um gold pad thickness. Now I was told that the solder paste stencils that my company uses are 5 to 6 mils (127 to 152um) thick. If this is the case the maximum thickness of gold I should speck that won't cause embrittlement would be between 1.8 and 2.2um. I'm I missing the boat?
The Bulwith paper (which I was really impressed with ) stated that gold thickness should be between 5 to 15um. What was missing from that paper was the volume of solder (or thickness of solder paste) recommended to insure a good joint(<3.5wt % of gold by NPL paper). If I use 5um gold would I have to use 350um paste (a 13.78 mil stencil) to obtain the proper gold to solder ratio?
Brad
thanks for your input. I'll be hunting up those papers next.
Cheers
Mark