i doubt it is W2K
i have seen it on a few occasions
it went away somehow

are you pasting into the same document as cutting/copying?
when i cut/copy from one doc into another i have learned not to close
the first one until later, after the paste
i think they improved this somewhere along the way to SP6 though

is it a big hairy component?

i have had logos (made as components with a tiny zillion fills) cause
apparent lock up of protel during a window selection operation when in
fact it was just an eterna 'processing' that finally finished
i don't put the logos on anymore until i am done

i would *just* reboot the whole system and see what happens

i know that others have experienced otherwise but on the few occasions i
reinstalled it didn't solve whatever problem was at hand

when you shut down prottle and before you reboot check the task manager
to see if phantom copies of protel are running in the applications or
processes tabs

Dennis Saputelli