Chris,
        it seems that you are talking about something different than Ian or
others have mentioned. By your description you are exporting the schematic
information to a spreadsheet, manipulating it and then re-importing the
data. Ian's comments were about the built-in database linking function
(under 'T'ools, 'D'atabase Links...) that will link information from an
external DBIII or DBIV database. The database linking is slow as molasses!

Sincerely,
Brad Velander.

Lead PCB Designer
Norsat International Inc.