I had something like this happen with a corrupted user library,  but
it could have been any library used in the design.

There is a key (SHIFT I think it is, though it might be TAB, SPACE, ESC,
CTRL or (?) that when held down while starting up the program,  prevents
a design from being auto-loaded at startup.  I'm sure someone here
will know the exact correct key.

It might be useful to try this and see if the problem may be design file
related,  vs an installation related problem.

---Phil