On 04:37 AM 27/03/2003, Steve Wiseman said:
I've got a P99SE,SP6 session running (it's been up for days, and I've
been working hard, before anyone launches...)
Anyway, on trying to save, I get an address violation (in "CSRTL50.bpl") -
whether I try to save, or save as, any file. This is obviously a bit
annoying, although only the last hour or so of work is at risk. Does
anyone have a cunning plan to save in some other way, or do I just kill it
off and pick up from recent saves / backups?

Steve

It may be an idea to copy the DDB before you attempt to do anymore saves. You can copy DDB's while P99SE has them open.

I would also immediately copy all the backups you can find to a another location to reduce that chance of contaminating old backups.

Then try the autosave idea of Leo's.

Also, I have used the same select-all, copy and paste technique of Andrew's. Note that this does not take the PCB design rules so you may want to also try exporting the design rules so you have a copy of these - though you probably already do in you backup PCB files.

You may be able to run the Save process from the Run-Process dialog, but this is a bit of a long shot. You could try:
Client:SaveAllDocuments
Client:SaveDocument
Client:SaveDocumentAs
Client:SaveProject

You could even try emailing it to yourself, but I have no idea whether that would take the copy on the disk or in RAM.
Client:SendDocumentByMail
Client:SendAllDocumentsByMail

You may also find that closing the DDB will offer to save and may do so successfully - but obviously you should try other stuff first.

Exporting to a spread is not a lot of use as the hidden handles are not valid across sessions (actually there is an idea there for a recovery server - one that creates a PCB from all the objects in a exported spreadsheet. Actually, just in case it is useful, you could export everything to a spread document.)

You could try exporting as a PCAD2000 ASCII file - this is under the File-Export menu. But you may not have that server installed.

For schematics you could try some of the above stuff but you also have the process Sch:ExportSchematicToDatabase and the matching Import.... process. These may be useful.

I am sure there may be one or two things to try - if *really* desperate you could grab bitmaps of the screen to show changes you made. Certainly you could print out each layer onto overhead transparency (or even just paper) to allow a visual compare with a backup copy - you could open and print the backup and compare on a light box (or window) or just on screen.

How desperate are you?

Ian