Cheers all - some top ideas there, and I suspect that the copy/paste, at
the least, would have worked (except that much of the work I was trying
to save was scattered through a schematic & PCB library...)
I stopped for a coffee (long enough for my obsessively frequent
autosave to kick in) , then stumbled across the "send by mail" button,
which I didn't recollect seeing before. Clicking it instantly killed Protel -
things were really ragged, obviously...
That email button's vanished again now - I thought it wasn't one I
normally see... Anyway, a combination of .BKn - style backups and
"previous backup of" backups snaffled before & after the end meant
that I'd lost 10minutes max - could be worse :)

Thanks for all the hints - shame I didn't get to play with any of them.

Steve