John Haddy wrote:

I'm not familiar with any current work reflecting this. (Doesn't mean
that I'm up to the minute with my reading though...)

IPC-SM-782a suggests (section 3.3.3.1) fillets in the range of:

Toe: 0.4mm - 0.6mm
Heel: 0.0mm - 0.2mm
Side: -0.02mm - 0.02mm

I've always been wary of excess heel fillet since, to my way of
thinking,
extra metal in this region must necessarily restrict the ability of a
lead to flex in accommodation of thermal stresses. Note that this is my
assumption rather than having a basis in any published work.

I note, though, that in the example land patterns in the back of
IPC-SM-782a
the QFP toe and heel fillets are generally about equal.

John Haddy

I would always ensure that there is some heel fillet as this is often the strongest external part of the joint. In many cases the toe of a lead can solder quite poorly (it is not tinned due having been cropped after the lead was plated). A sound heel filet prevents a weak solder joint lifting due to crack propagation from the thermal expansion of the package.

if you have no heal fillet then any expansion forces are concentrated at the pad/foot interface with the peel action concentrated by the small size of the interface normal to the direction of the force.