Ian Wilson wrote:

IW> There is a group for discussing Pre-rel DXP.

Thanks for the reminder. I knew that the topic was an old behavior, and included
the SP number without thinking.

IW> To help the developers along maybe we should discuss how we would like the
IW> system to behave when moving groups of sheet entries (within a sheet
IW> symbol, both sides, top and bottom etc) and when sheet entries are selected
IW> on multiple sheet symbols and when sheet entries are part of some wild
IW> mixed-up ad-hoc selection.

OK, my preferences would be:

1. Detach the sheet entries from the sheet symbol. When creating a sheet symbol,
have  the  user select a sheet symbol (this allows for (3), below), but then let
the  user  dump  it anywhere he chooses, on or off the symbol. If I select sheet
entries  on  multiple  sheet  symbols  by accident, and move some of them off of
their  sheet  symbols,  that's  OK  -  this  frequently happens in Protel when a
selection is too broad, and is the perfect time to use Undo.

2. Make the compiler issue a message for sheet entries not on sheet symbol edges,
such as it does now for many objects which aren't in the 'right' place (off-grid,
net label not touching wire, etc.)

3. When placing a sheet entry, after the user has selected a sheet symbol, when
TAB is hit and the parameter dialog shows, the text for the sheet entry should
be a drop-down list containing port names from the referenced sheet which aren't
yet represented by sheet entries in the selected sheet symbol.

4. Add a 'Remove un-referenced sheet entries' process.

Do you see any difficulties or conflicts in these suggestions?

Why  would  Altium  do  this  in  DXP  when  users have coped with this behavior
forever?  One  big  reason is that to use the multi-channel capability which has
been  added  in DXP, the designer has no choice but to use the full hierarchical
schematic  model.  The main reason I have seldom used this model in the past was
the  sheet  entry editing made maintenance difficult. Now I have no choice; if I
want  multi  channel  capabilities,  I  have  to use this model and put up these
behaviors.

Thanks for your response, Ian.

--
Regards,