[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Hi

My company uses an internal designator naming standard for schematic symbols. The standard is such that each type of component is assigned a prefix and each designator will be 4 digits long, eg. 1st resistor: 1001, 2nd resistor: 1002, 25th capacitor: 2025, 54th diode, 3054, etc.

Is there anyway I can get P99SE to generate this automatically? I understand that it can only do 11, 12, etc, and not 1001, 1002, etc. Furthermore if I reset the designators, the prefix number gets wiped out as well.

Yes, I think you can get most of the control of this scheme in 99SE.
All global editing of schematics can be limited to specific part types
in the global edit window.

The one thing that probably can't be made to work is the automatic reannotation
feature. I usually do NOT use this feature anyway, as it is pretty difficult to
control it. Using specific settings of the global edit {abc=def} and the match
string [10*] sort of restriction should allow you to fairly easily set up your
component designators.

One possible way to do it automatically, though, is to create the schematic
using R?, C?, D? etc., and then, AFTER the entire schematic is entered, use
the automatic reannotation one time only. Then, use the global edit to change
all R100 to R999 with a replace string like {R=1}
all R10 to R99 with {R=10}
all R1 to R9 with {R=100}
in that order, then repeat for C, D, Q, etc.
You could even generate a macro script to do it all, I think.

Jon