Tim,
        on your original question about the mid part calculation, I thought that it
was calculated from the center point of the pads within the device. I am not
absolutely sure on that but that is what I recall from experiments that I did years
ago. It seemed to ignore the silkscreen and other layers and seemed to only calculate
using the pads. Try calculating it yourself using the pad centres of the pads in the
device, a device like a TO263 should easily show where the centre is being calculated
from.

        On your statement below I would caution you that there is a bug in P99SE that
I discovered a year or more ago when placing parts. If you are moving a part while
pressing the spacebar to rotate it, you can have the part centre shift off of your
cursor location. This is most prevalent if I used a rotation angle of about 5 degrees.
It was worst if you moved the part quickly while doing the rotation. Not sure that
this could be what you have seen but thought I should mention it.

Sincerely,
Brad Velander.

Lead PCB Designer
Norsat International Inc.
Microwave Products
Tel   (604) 292-9089 (direct line)
Fax  (604) 292-9010
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.norsat.com

CONFIDENTIALITY: This e-mail and any attached files may contain information that is
confidential and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient or the
person responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient,  please
notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to another person, use
it for any purpose or store or copy the information in any medium.  Thank you.