Tim, Igor and others,
        I did a little experimenting last night on this issue and confirmed my
suspicions. The mid P&P point is calculated from the center of all pads locations.
        I made up several parts that had identical pad locations, then I added other
details like silkscreen, copper fills, copper tracks, text and other lines. The mid
location never changed as long as I didn't change the pad locations. Changing pad
locations by 10 mils resulted in the expected 5 mil shift in the mid P&P point.

Sincerely,
Brad Velander.

Lead PCB Designer
Norsat International Inc.