Thank goodness, I'm not the only one that stumbled accross this.
It is indeed a bug, the selectionbox doesn't work when you want to globally edit designator/part field locations, values or fonts.
I noticed that one step too late (couldn't undo) a while ago and had to manually correct 480 resistors in 120 networks accross 13 sheets..... took me several hours:-(
Luckily the other selection criteria work OK, so one can select on footprint, value, coordinates etc....

Leo