Peter Moreton wrote:

Can anyone tell me how to quickly search for a particular component in
the Protel Libraries? ...for example, I need to find the library
component for the LM317, at the moment I do this by adding a likely
library to my design, then look inside it. There has to be a better way!

This is a problem in P99. The updated libraries on the Altium web site have
a text list of all parts supported, so you could capture that in some way and make
a cross listing for those libraries. When you have a schematic library open in the
library editor, there is a reports/library menu selection that will write out a file
with all the library entries and the comment text for each. You could make up
a file with all these merged, and the library name appended to each entry.
This would be a fairly worthwhile project to do.

Jon