Ivan,
When soldering fine pitch parts, we use lots of liquid flux and then simply drag a tinned iron across the pins. The best solder joints around and the flux eliminates bridging. Don't over do the solder on the iron tip. Takes a few tries to develop tricks, but I have never failed yet. Of course you then have to rinse off the flux. I use isopropyl and clean compressed air. Haven't figured out BGAs by hand yet, but it will have to happen soon. Paste and an hot air knife???
Cheers,
Tom

Bagotronix Tech Support wrote:

I can solder 0.5mm (19.685 mil) SMT IC's by hand no problem. BGAs are a

different story...

I can do that too.  And my hand can slip, causing a solder bridge to an
adjacent pin.  It's a PITA to clear away that solder bridge from those small
pins.

Oh, how I long for DIP and 50mil SMT packages.  I figured it out - it is
possible to put an ethernet chip into a 28-pin package (with an 8-bit wide
uP interface).  So why doesn't anyone do it?  They have 100+ pins.  Phooey!

Best regards,
Ivan Baggett
Bagotronix Inc.
website:  www.bagotronix.com