> Yup, but the old days had entire boards covered with DIPs to do what I
> can do now
> with ONE very pedestrian Xilinx Spartan chip.  And, if there is an error
> (there is
> ALWAYS an error or two) I can fix it in the configuration of the FPGA,
> and don't
> have to even hack a trace on the board, most of the time!

Another advantage to DIPs is that you can use a socket for them.  This is
good for those times you want to make a particular feature (such as ADC) an
extra cost option.  If someone wants the option, you plug in the part.  That
way you don't have to make different builds.  Yes, I know there exist
sockets for fine pitch SMT parts.  They are expensive - usually more than
the part you want to put in the socket.

Ever wonder why Microchip makes so many DIP package chips?  ;-)

I like technologies that are appropriate for the given application.  Many
times a DIP is better than SMT.  Sometimes SMT is better.

A Spartan FPGA in a DIP package - I could think of some possibilities!

Best regards,
Ivan Baggett
Bagotronix Inc.
website:  www.bagotronix.com