Abd,

> Actually, to consider Protel DXP to be an upgrade to the 16-bit software
is
> a tad misleading. They sell it as an upgrade, and it does have some of the
> same bare-bones functionality, but the software has come a long way and
you
> have skipped over a whole series of upgrades, the most notable being
Protel
> 99SE, which was a vast improvement.

Correct.  Of course, this is mainly because I was <extremely> annoyed that
even after Win95 came out, Protel maintained a 16 bit codebase.  It took
them three years to upgrade to a 32 bit program.

> As I recall, you could have upgraded from the 16-bit software to Protel 98
> for $1000, and you could have upgraded Protel 98 to P99SE for another
$1000
> (actually, I did it for $700 when it was on special offer), and, likewise,
> you could have upgraded from 99SE to DXP for $1000.

Once again, very annoyed that a company wanted to charge me the <original
asking price> to <upgrade>.  The idea that the "special offer" is $700 is
ridiculous to me.   When upgrades cost as much as I paid for the product in
the first place, I know the company in question has a bad upgrade policy.

> So, in the end, you would have paid $5000 for what retails for $8000.

Bleh.

> As it is, because you did not upgrade when the offers were there, you pay
> an extra $1000, you still save $2000 over someone who did not own a prior
> license. Come to think of it, that's what you paid for your license in the
> first place, they have given you full credit....
>
> So you can be grateful or you can be resentful, take your pick.

Quite clearly resentful.

    Thanks,
    PeterM