At 02:08 PM 9/10/2003, Peter Montgomery wrote:
BTW, I guess I'm not alone in finding Protel's charge for upgrading is kind
of insane.  I think my 16 bit software cost me about $2000.  To upgrade now
to DXP would cost me $6000.  Apparently, Protel thinks that charging three
times the original cost of the software to upgrade is a sound and logical
business plan.  It sounds moronic if you ask me.

Moronic all the way to the bank, if one wants to be sarcastic about it.

Actually, to consider Protel DXP to be an upgrade to the 16-bit software is a tad misleading. They sell it as an upgrade, and it does have some of the same bare-bones functionality, but the software has come a long way and you have skipped over a whole series of upgrades, the most notable being Protel 99SE, which was a vast improvement.

As I recall, you could have upgraded from the 16-bit software to Protel 98 for $1000, and you could have upgraded Protel 98 to P99SE for another $1000 (actually, I did it for $700 when it was on special offer), and, likewise, you could have upgraded from 99SE to DXP for $1000.

So, in the end, you would have paid $5000 for what retails for $8000.

As it is, because you did not upgrade when the offers were there, you pay an extra $1000, you still save $2000 over someone who did not own a prior license. Come to think of it, that's what you paid for your license in the first place, they have given you full credit....

So you can be grateful or you can be resentful, take your pick.