On 08:38 PM 18/11/2003, Adeel Malik said:
Hi All,
         The Protel 99SE has a Report Generating Mechanism for BOM creation.
I want an add-on utility or a process script that can separately count the
number of SMD and Through-hole components. Can someone comment on it ?.

What is a SMD component and what is thru hole?

I know the easy answer, I am being more subtle than that.

Is a component with surface pads but through hole (soldered) mounting a through hole or surface mount component?

If you said any footprint that included a one or more holes was through hole and anything that included only surface pads was SMD the server would not be hard to develop.

In fact the server to iterate over all components and classify according to the nature of the pads would not be hard, more difficult would be figuring out what the rules for classification should be. The bulk of components would be easy though as they would have either surface or multi-layer pads, the others could be classified in a mixed-tech basket and leave it to the designer to figure out what box they should go in.

I write servers but I no longer write them for nix - too much other stuff occupies my time now.
Ian