However, things like guide pins may require pads rather than vias
in order to be non plated (the fact of being unplated provides a
sorting method, though).

There's also issues with connectors such as AMP's Mictor series
(such as are used for Agilent logic analyser pod connections) which
have through-hole (plated) ground pins - which can be press-fit so
don't necessarily need soldering - as well as SMT pads for signal
pins.

Unless one dedicates a library field to identifying what class a
component falls into, I agree that the only practical alternative
would be to auto-sort the unambiguous components and provide a list
of the rest for the designer to parse.

John Haddy
Sydney, Australia