Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:

At 02:14 PM 1/7/2004, you wrote:

Is there a way to define whether or not connections to Planes get a Thermal Relief,
and if so, what type, by the area of the Board in which they occur?

In 99SE, this would be controlled by a Design Rule, and the choices for scope are Board, Footprint, Component/Class, Net/Class, Pad Class and Specification. I'm a little surprised not to see "via" there....

Look harder. It is there and always has been. It is located just below "Pad Specification"

But, no, there was no region scope.

Yes there is, 3 items below "Via Specification" Are you talking about DesignRules->Manufacturing->PowerPlaneConnection rules or something else?

Now, in DXP, it seems to be a little more complicated.

I looked and could not come up with a way to do it, so I gave up after wasting an hour. So much for the claim by the Protel sales person that if you are an experienced user of 99SE, there is absolutely no learning curve to be just as productive in DXP. A learning curve is involved only if you chose to take advantage of additional powerful features. Would you call that a blatant lie, an ignoramus telling the truth as he knew it, or in our politically correct world a poor victim of capitalist society merely taking liberties with the truth in order to earn enough commission to feed his family?

What I was specifically trying to do in DXP was to have all vias connect to the planes without thermal reliefs.

Hamid