At 02:14 PM 1/7/2004, you wrote:
Is there a way to define whether or not connections to Planes get a Thermal Relief,
and if so, what type, by the area of the Board in which they occur?

In 99SE, this would be controlled by a Design Rule, and the choices for scope are Board, Footprint, Component/Class, Net/Class, Pad Class and Specification. I'm a little surprised not to see "via" there....

But, no, there was no region scope.

I am thinking specifically about the area under a BGA, where I may not want Thermal
Reliefs, or possibly may want a mixture.

Can this be controlled to physical Dimensions with Rooms?

This is a DXP question, but staying with 99SE for a moment, why would you want to do this? If the pads in question are part of a footprint, footprint scope would cover it.

Now, in DXP, it seems to be a little more complicated. I'm still a DXP newbie, and it is in looking at matters like this that I am dismayed; I have to learn quite a bit to use DXP, this is pretty well known. Scope in DXP is defined by Query, and that I do not find nearly as simple as the old way. Powerful, probably.... Perhaps someone will explain how to do, for example, a footprint scope rule for power plane connections in DXP. The queries given in the query wizard don't include such an option as far as I can see.