AbdulRahman Lomax wrote:

And I'm not thrilled that the rule from the 99SE file did not survive import.

What one needs to be more scared about, if that is indeed the case, is that it did not survive import and did not generate a warning. I experienced power objects quietly disappearing on the one transfer I did of a 4 sheet schematic from 99SE to DXP -- my sole experience moving anything into DXP. If you import a board with 1000+ components, 3000+ vias, 100+ rules, almost 20 split planes, you can not possibly check everything and make sure everything came across perfectly. All it takes is one ignored item to make the board unusable. The cost of bare boards, the cost of having them assembled and tested, the cost of your time, the cost of schedule delays... add them all up and the $8K new price for DXP is lost in the noise.

Did I mention that Protel sales person told me that they have a very reliable import utility with which you could import any 99SE design into DXP and just continue on after you manually handled the split planes?

Hamid