At 12:50 PM 1/15/2004, Tim Fifield wrote:
It appears that my polygons are in direct connect mode when my design rules
state that they are in relief mode. Is there something I'm missing?

Probably. Let's go over the basics.

There are two sets of connection rules: those for copper pour and those for inner planes. You might be confusing the two.

"Polygons", I'd assume, would refer to copper pour. Unlike inner planes, which are calculated layers for the most part (created by rules), copper pours -- "polygon planes" are created by defining the vertices and the various settings, and then the polygon is "built." Once it is built, it is in the database as a collection of free primitives -- track and arcs. You can unlock the plane and edit and move the individual primitives, if you want....

If you change the rules, planes are not automatically rebuilt. You can rebuild a plane simply by double-clicking on it to bring up the edit dialog and then OK'ing it, you'll be asked if you want to rebuild.

There are tricks for getting all the polygons to rebuild at once, if you need to know that.

As with inner planes, I recommend that vias be set for direct connect to polygons. So the default rule would be thermal relief, and then a Via Specification rule sets all vias for direct connect.