If that isn't the case, it's also possible that the file extension has been
re-defined to a non-Protel format since the last time you opened a Protel
schematic.

When the file extension is redefined (for instance, when another schematic
package is installed), Protel isn't clever enough to recognize that the file
is still a valid Protel file. It relies only on the Windows declaration for
this detemrination, not the content to recognize or deny a file...That is,
unless Protel fixed that leetle flaw, but I'm skeptical...it's only been 8
or 9 years since it was first reported and Protel hjas had it's hands full
fixing flaws in the special features that it's created for its "special"
customers...

Within Windows's file explorer (right click My computer, choose Explore),
choose
Tools
Folder Options
Then check the "File types" tab and scan for schematic files...

Regards,

aj