edsi wrote:

I would be interested in how many of you this week who lost Protel file , or it quit working have AUTOMATIC UPDATES on with windows. I had the same problem this week also. The only software installed on my machine this weeek was Gates trash.

Never. I have never lost a significant amount of work with Protel 99SE/SP6. Sometimes I
have lost a couple of minutes of changes, tops. I have never had a whole DDB file go bad
on me, and only had a couple of hangups in several years of use. But, I only use Protel 99SE,
Xilinx ise, and a mechanical CAD package on the Windows system. Everything else I do
is on Linux. I actually run the Windows 2000 Pro system under a virtual machine
emulator under Linux, called VMware. Linux usually stays up between power failures
(70+ days) and Win2K usually stays up for weeks at a time. If you have problems, it
could be flaky hardware. Get a comprehensive memory test program.

Jon