John A. Ross [Design] wrote:
Just my $0.02

My Protel 99 SCH files actually show as 'Microsoft Schedule+
Application' association
My Protel 99 PCB files actually show as 'PowerPCB Design' association

Windows file associations are based only on the file extension - and since there is no copyright or registry on file extensions, different programs can use the same extension, sometimes for quite different purposes.

Only time I ever have an issue when opening a file, is when I try to
open it directly,

Yes - the file association is only used when you try to open a file by double-clicking on it. They should have no effect if you open the intended application, then open the file from within the application.

--
Peter Bennett
TRIUMF