I've got to agree with John, never had a problem.  The only time I have seen
this kind of thing before, is when the default template file is
corrupt/invalid or moved.  When you open the schematic protel can't find the
template, gives the error, then proceeds to open the sch fine anyway.  Try
re-setting the default template, see if that helps.

Regards

Rich