No they don't have to be, but I put them there. The single pad part is just
like any other part. If you can have a resistor on a schematic 2 levels
deep, then a single pad part can be there too.

I put ALL connectors at the top level because this graphically indicates
what leaves the board. I don't like wading through multipage schematics
looking for connectors. I want to know in one image what is coming onto the
board and what is leaving. So my schematics always look like a top level
full of connectors and blocks; the blocks contain all of the 'circuitry' of
the design.

Tony