We use generic RES/CAP symbols and edit the PART field to be 1K 1K5 1u 0u001 etc... If
the part has to be specific I edit the BOM manually before passing it on to our
purchasing dep. (e.g description: Low ESR capacitor P# company name) otherwise I let
them source generic parts.

Footprint info is included in the BOM, so they can tell if, say, a resistor has to be
an axial or SMD part, and how big an RB cap is allowed to be.

As they and I have a list of standard part we use (to keep stock levels low), this
works quite well.

Tom.